Fringe 2×01 “A New Day in the Old Town”: Reactions from a First Time Viewer
Season 2 here I come! Thank you all for making my Season 1 experience AWESOME. You can read my formal thank you post on HuffPost TV. Louise and I can’t stop talking about you guys and your support. If we could give you an Emmy for ‘Best TV Fandom,’ we would.
The Season 2 premiere is titled, “A New Day in the Old Town,” but it might as well be called, “What Just Happened?” because that was the question I kept asking myself throughout the ENTIRE episode. I don’t think I have seen an episode of TV with so many “WTF” moments. The premiere was mind-blowing and my favorite episode thus far. If this is a sign of what’s to come, then I better get a helmet because this is gonna be a WILD ride.
- Car crash!
- Why did that dude just kill that apartment resident? Hey, no more blood. WTF??? He is cracking his bones!!!!! Now, he is hooking himself up to electrical wires?! What is going on??? He just took that guy’s face!
- Who is this chick?! She better not be trying to replace Olivia at work. I don’t like her.
- Walter is at the grocery store with Peter. Adorable! Walter was a sous chef and worked under the guy who invented the Ho-Ho. So cool! Friday is Peter’s Birthday!! YAY. Of course you don’t remember liking custard Peter, ‘cuz you’re not from this world. Duh. LOL
- Walter: “We need to celebrate. And make sure that Agent Dunham can attend. I want to see her face when she eats my pudding.” LMAO Also, I love that Walter encourages Peter to see Olivia. YAY!
- Back to agent Jessup. Wait, that was Olivia’s face on the paper??!!!! How did I miss that? This must be the accident from the season one finale!!!! AMAZING
- Chick, get out of Peter’s way. I knew I wouldn’t like Jessup. Walter is checking the vehicle. Jessup, you ask too many questions!
- WTF just happened!?!?!?!?! OLIVIA JUMPED OUT OF THE WINDSHIELD BEST BAMF MOMENT!!!!!
- HOLD UP!!!!! SHE HAS THAT ‘I’M DEAD’ LOOK. SHE BETTER NOT BE DEAD. WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
- OH EM GEE…WALTER’S CONCERNED FACE.
- Olivia is at the hospital. My heart is breaking! Ah, Walter just put his head down.
- HAHA Broyles just put Jessup in her place. Things are gonna get crazy.
- What is the doctor saying? Olivia is brain dead?
- Walter: “Life and death, these are relative terms. Contextually defined, dependent on cultural specifics.” BEAUTIFUL LINE
- Walter is telling Peter Olivia is not dead. What is happening?!?! Walter is crying and he just told Liv he is sorry. Peter, let a tear roll down your face – that girl was supposed to be your wife!!
- Please tell me this is another reality. THIS HAS TO BE.
- What? Don’t toast to Olivia. I refuse to believe she is dead!
- Ugh it’s agent Jessup.
- The scene is so bleak. Very fitting. It’s Rachel and she just mentioned Ella. Rachel: “You know, she liked you, Peter. Did you know that?”
- WHAAAAAT?! Tell me I did not see that. Ugh. Peter put his hand on Rachel’s cheek. THAT’S RESERVED FOR OLIVIA ONLY!!!!!!
- Peter and Olivia together. This Is SO HARD TO WATCH guys. Peter is gonna kiss her. WTF?!?! What is happening?!?!?! Olivia just woke up and spoke Greek. Full Clip
- Be still my heart! Olivia just asked for Peter!
- Doctor to Peter: “Mr. Bishop, please, she needs to stay calm.” This seems to be a running theme – people asking Peter to calm Olivia down.
- So hard to see Olivia this way! “I don’t know, but there’s something I have to do and I think our lives may depend on it.” Peter: “Whose lives?” Olivia: “Everyone’s. Peter, I need my gun. Please, I’m not safe. Somebody hurt me. They did this to me.” Someone get Anna Torv an Emmy NOW.
- Peter and Jessup are working together now. Jessup (inspecting the body): “Look at his lividity.” That’s right Jessup, use your GRE words.
- Yay Jessup. She is allowing Walter to take the body. I’m starting to like her now. HAHA Walter is so excited to ride in the back of the vehicle with the body.
- Jessup: “I think I’ve been waiting for you people my whole life.” Foreshadowing?
- The store owner is not waiting for what? The shapeshifter is writing on a typewriter. He was trying to prevent Olivia’s meeting? Who is sending these orders? Mr. Jones is dead…or is this the Mr. Jones from the other side? Could it be Dr. Bell? But he did meet with her so that doesn’t make sense.
- It’s Charlie! Aw, Olivia needs a hug. She is so shaken.
- Ew. Is Walter eating as he is examining the body? Some things shouldn’t be mixed. No eating in the science lab. Ew, he just tried to put his hand in the custard. Keep stuff separate Walter.
- Video time. One of Dr. Bell and Walter’s subjects from way back saw the shapeshifter.
- Stand up and deliver Broyles!! He shouldn’t have to defend the existence of the Fringe Division. The world needs them. It’s Ms. Terminator! SWEET MOTHER MERYL!!!!! They kissed! Did that just happened? Was there some sexual tension brewing I did not notice?
- Ahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE NURSE IS THE SHAPESHIFTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Olivia just told her something is hidden but she can’t remember. GAH!! She is attacking Liv! Someone save her! Yeah, get her Olivia! Way to go Jessup!! The shapeshifter can survive that jump?
- Olivia to Peter: “Go get that bitch.” BADASS.
- Look up Mr. Deep Sexy Voice!! YAY You got the shapeshifter.
- Awww, Peter comes bearing flowers. The grins on both of their faces make me melt. Can we preserve this moment for eternity?
- So Walter thinks the person was a “shape-changing soldier from another universe.” FANTASTIC – ‘cuz there isn’t enough stuff to worry about. Peter to Olivia: “No matter what happened to you, and no mater where you went, Walter will figure it out.” Aw.
- Peter knows Greek? OH SNAP! His mom use to say that phrase Olivia blurted out every night before Peter went to bed. It means “be a better man than your father.” It was a code between him and his mom: take care of the people you care about. Olivia: “Well, you’re good at that.”
- Wow, look at Peter taking charge. I like it. He just gave Broyles the shapeshifter’s tech to convince the committee to maintain the Fringe Division. He is a badass too and he is wearing all black. Olivia has rubbed off on him.
- What are you up to Jessup? She is analyzing the Pattern cases and she has a Bible. I love the religious references on the show.
- NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! The shapshifter killed Mr. Deep Sexy Voice!!!!!!!!!
WOW!! I can’t believe that just happened. Wow. That was an incredible season premiere. BRAVO FRINGE WRITERS!! Can’t wait for more.
My newbie reactions will return to its normal schedule next week. Check back on Tuesdays and Thursdays for new posts. Thanks for reading.
Fringe gifs from “dunhamgetinmybed” on Tumblr.