‘Once Upon A Time’ Premiere: Initial Thoughts
Here’s my stream-of-consciousness first impression of the premiere of ABC’s new fairy tale drama Once Upon A Time:
- The scenery in the fairy tale universe is really stunning. Beautiful opening scene of the prince galloping through a luscious green forest.
- Woah, Emma is actually a kickass bail bondswoman? Awesome. Watching her slam that guy’s face into his steering wheel made me instantly like her. (It also made me forgive Jennifer Morrison for her role as Zoe on How I Met Your Mother last season.)
- Robert Carlyle is impressively creepy as Rumplestiltskin.
- I love Emma’s “pshaw” reaction to this random kid’s mention of Storybrooke. “Ha ha, fairy tales? Yeah right, kid.”
- This little boy is disarmingly poised.
- Lost reference #1: The clock reads 8:15.
- It’s a little hard to take the fairy tale half of the story seriously. But I still kind of like it.
- …until this happened: there is literally a fairy. I don’t know how I feel about this.
- Lost reference #2: Classic Lost eye closeup of Emma’s eye.
- Hello, cute British sheriff. Wait, why is there a British sheriff in Maine? What kind of British boy grows up dreaming about becoming a local sheriff in a small town in Maine? Am I missing something.
- Wow, sword-fighting while carrying a newborn baby in one hand? This prince has mad skills. (Don’t try this at home.)
- Ooh, Snow White trying to kiss her prince back to life. Twist! I like it.
- Lost reference #3: The house number is 108. (I could do this all day.)
- Good ending. I am adequately intrigued. And surprisingly not at all put off by Ginnifer Goodwin’s haircut.
- All in all, I like it. I’m a sucker for fairy tales, and I have a high tolerance level for cheesiness. Also, the rich mythology could make for a really interesting season.
What do you think, folks? Did you watch? Will you keep watching? Were you equally perturbed by that blue fairy? Leave your thoughts in the comments or tweet us @PopCultureNexus.