First Time Viewer Reactions: Fringe 3×15 “Subject 13”
It’s been a while (sorry!). Time for another dose of Fringe photo captions and first time viewer reactions. The last time I did this, I wrote about 3×14 “6B”. Just thinking about that episode makes me smile. So much Polivia goodness. Olivia forgives Peter and then, they go upstairs to the bedroom to read a book together. They probably continued reading the Harry Potter series…you know, grown up stuff. One would expect 3×15 to start where 3×14 ended (with Polivia fluff) but we all know Fringe doesn’t operate in a traditional manner. Instead, 3×15 transports us to 1985. It’s another retro episode!!!! It’s titled “Subject 13,” a reference to Olivia’s test subject number, but the episode is more about Peter than the cortexiphan trials.
“Subject 13” begins with one of the SADDEST scenes in the series – Peter breaking the ice to go home. The suicidal act and Elizabeth’s desperation to stop him produce a distressing scene. Peter is experiencing unimaginable homesickness and it’s painful to witness the danger he will risk to return home. He’s just a boy. He shouldn’t have to go through this turmoil. Elizabeth does her best to convince her son he belongs, but in the end, it’s up to Peter to make that decision of believing or not. Either way Elizabeth loses. She suffers seeing her son unwilling to stay and when he chooses to remain in this world, she is tormented by the fact that she must continue lying to her son. It’s a broken world where universal fulfillment is not possible. This is why I love Elizabeth’s words at the end. Her line is applicable to the Fringe world and the world we live in. It’s one of my two favorite quotes in the series (the other being in “White Tulip”) and I hope you find as much hope in it as I do.
Sometimes the world we have is not the world we want. But we have our hearts and our imaginations to make the best of it.
- Aw, it’s little Peter! What is he doing??
- Oh no! Peter! Don’t! AH! Elizabeth jumped in to get him but he is struggling with her. Peter: “You’re not my mother. I want to go home.” THIS. IS. SO. SAD!!!!
- Gah! It’s little Olivia! Aww.
- Peter: “The Red Lantern is not supposed to be green.” Oh dang, Peter knows he is not in the right universe. This is not going to be easy to get out of.
- Walter wants the children to cross over and take Peter home. Dang! He’s gonna use the little kids.
- Peter: “I’m not crazy.” Seeing little Peter in distress is heartbreaking. Can’t imagine what Elizabeth must be going through.
- Oh hell no. Olivia got hit in the eye. No on hits Olivia!
- Olivia drew the blimp!!! She crossed over!!!
- AHHHHH WHITE TULIPS!!! I’ll never stop getting excited after hearing/seeing a reference to a white tulip.
- Pick the Battlestar Galactica toy, Peter! Give him some space Elizabeth…the last thing you want to be is a helicopter mom to a child having an identity crisis.
- Eeeee. Little Peter is looking at little Olivia. “The beguiling Olivia Dunham beguiles.”
- Umm…Walter, what are you putting Olivia through??? That is not cool! She is a child!!!
- Oh no. He is going to scare Olivia. Uh oh. Lights are out. WTF!!! That was a horrible, Walter!! You are rapidly attainting naughty points, my friend.
- Of course Olivia is missing. That’s what you get when you scare a child senseless.
- If anyone can find her, it’s you Peter. You can do it.
- Walternate is the creator of the Star Wars Defense System!
- Poor guy, he is completely distraught. I actually feel sympathy for him even though I know the evil he will do.
- “Bishop Dynamic” LOL
- Peter and Olivia are in the field of white tulips. Infinite awwws. Their hands are touching. How inappropriate is it that I am shipping them as 8 year olds? Awkward.
- Oh em gee. Olivia crossed over!!! She talked to Walternate! TWIST. This can’t be good.
- It’s Olivia’s evil stepfather. How dare you call her your “little princess”! I just want to excommunicate you. Yay, Walter stood up for her!
- Oh boy…thins are about to get real. Peter just called Elizabeth, “mom.” He’s been CONVERTED. Oh snap!! Down the rabbit hole of parallel universes we go. Oh no… she is drinking Whiskey. NOT GOOD AT ALL.
- Walternate knows Peter is on the other side! Frak.
Thanks for sticking with me folks! It amazes me every time I see a request for more newbie posts. This started off as an experiment and it means a lot that Fringies have embraced it.
A #HurryUpMary Update
Fringe 3×14 “6B”: Reactions from a First Time Viewer
Fringe 3×13 “Immortality”: Reactions from a First Time Viewer
Fringe 3×12 “Concentrate and Ask Again”: Reactions from a First Time Viewer